Assembly Rooms

Museum of Costume & The Assembly Rooms

This fine collection of original costumes and accessories brings to life the story of fashion over the last 400 years.

A free state-of-the-art personal audio tour is available in 6 languages, or there are occasional guided tours.

The museum is located at The Assembly Rooms, designed by John Wood the Younger in 1769-1771. The building is owned by the National Trust and contains the original set of nine Whitefriars crystal chandeliers and an original portrait of Captain Wade by Thomas Gainsborough